Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yep,
    Hope it goes ahead and no idiot decides to ruin it for everyone else.
    Also hope they make the ground rules very clear as to when, where and how.
    Ride Safe All
    Nigel

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/medi...sts-sydney-cbd

Australian first lane filtering trial for motorcyclists in the Sydney CBD

The NSW Government will allow motorcyclists to filter through stationary vehicles at CBD intersections to test if the practice improves traffic flow.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the unique trial developed by Transport for NSW will start on 1 February 2013 and involve three months of data gathering by the Centre for Road Safety.

“The project will include using video to monitor lane filtering behaviour at intersections and also detect whether traffic movement improves in a selected northern CBD area,” Mr Gay said.

“Lane filtering is currently against the law however there will be an exemption for motorcyclists in this part of the CBD which will permit them to filter through traffic when vehicles are stopped at traffic lights,” he said.

“The NSW Police CBD Motorcycle Response Team, recently funded by Transport for NSW, will also be policing the intersections to ensure road rules are still being adhered to.

“This trial is not about favouring one road user group over another, it is a system which could benefit all motorists in the CBD.

“It needs to be tested to ensure it improves traffic flow while not jeopardising road safety.”

Mr Gay said the initiative comes after motorcycle groups campaigned for changes to laws around filtering for some time and in response to the consultation on the NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan.

“The practice exists in other countries such as the United Kingdom however we need to ensure there is strong evidence it works before we can make any changes to road rules.

“As usual, other motorists will need to check for motorcycle riders when they are turning and changing lanes.”

Superintendent Stuart Smith, Operations Commander of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, said police were keen to find a solution that improved both the city’s traffic flow and the safety of motorists and pedestrians.

“The NSW Police Force is committed to improving traffic flow in the Sydney CBD and we are working closely with Transport for NSW on this innovative trial,” Superintendent Smith said.

“However, the safety of all motorists and pedestrians remains our number one priority.

“We will be monitoring the trial sites regularly and, as always, ask that motorists drive carefully and considerately.” The lane filtering will be confined to an area bound by Sussex Street, Market Street, St James Road, Macquarie Street, Alfred Street and Hickson Road.

Rules for motorcyclists

Lane filtering means motorcyclists can only move between stationary vehicles at intersections.
    Specific conditions will include taking extra care when filtering near buses, no filtering on the left in the kerbside left lane or dedicated turning lanes, and riders must stop at the intersection stop-line.
    Lane filtering has to stay within a lane, it is not overtaking.
    Lane splitting will not be allowed – this involves motorcyclists weaving through moving traffic instead of stationary traffic.

Australian first lane filtering trial for motorcyclists in the Sydney CBD (pdf 87KB).
    18 October 2012
    "The Catbus" - Honda CB500X!

I'm on a highway to hell and I'm going dowwwwwwwwwwwwn all the way down!

lane splitting

• Bikers get a weave pass - OK to ride between lanes

• Rosemarie Lentini
    • The Daily Telegraph
    • October 19, 2012 12:00A

MOTORCYCLISTS will be allowed to weave around cars banked up at traffic lights in parts of the city under a bold new plan.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay yesterday announced the three-month trial to test if motorbike lane filtering - currently illegal - improves traffic flow and eases congestion.
    Lane filtering refers to the practice in which motorcyclists ride between gaps in stalled or slow-moving lines of traffic.
    The initiative, which kicks off on February 1, follows intense lobbying by motorcycle groups, who say filtering is common practice in major international cities.
    "Lane filtering is currently against the law, however, there will be an exemption for motorcyclists in this part of the CBD which will permit them to filter through traffic when vehicles are stopped at traffic lights," Mr Gay said.

"The NSW Police CBD Motorcycle Response Team, recently funded by Transport for NSW, will also be policing the intersections to ensure road rules are still being adhered to. This trial is not about favouring one road user group over another, it is a system which could benefit all motorists in the CBD.
    "It needs to be tested to ensure it improves traffic flow while not jeopardising road safety."
    Lane filtering will be confined to the zones bordered by Sussex and Market Sts, St James Rd, Macquarie and Alfred Sts and Hickson Rd.
    Traffic and Highway Patrol Command operations commander Superintendent Stuart Smith said that police were seeking options to improve Sydney's traffic flow while protecting motorists and pedestrians.
    "(Police are) committed to improving traffic flow in the Sydney CBD and we are working closely with Transport for NSW on this innovative trial," he said. "However, the safety of all motorists and pedestrians remains our number one priority."
    NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury said the motoring authority would support proposals that benefit all road users.
    "The NRMA will look at any proposal that aims to improve traffic flow for all road users," he said.
    "We are keen to see the results at the end of the trial."

source : http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/bikers-get-a-weave-pass-ok-to-ride-between-lanes/story-e6freuzi-1226498914608

Am I being over sensitive or is the Tele announcing what they think of the trial with their wording "Will be allowed to weave around cars". Seems a bit semantically loaded to me!

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    Am I being over sensitive or is the Tele announcing what they think of the trial with their wording "Will be allowed to weave around cars". Seems a bit semantically loaded to me!

Stan

i tend to agree there stan.......

Press like that is just going to inflame car drivers and make our lives harder.
    Prudence, (The Girl) my 2006 Scrambler with Norman Hyde Street Scrambler Exhaust and The Yank, my 2008 America, both Blue and White, both Gorgeous.

“You never see a motorcycle outside a shrinks office unless it’s the shrink that owns it”.

Paul

The press are only interested in selling their products they will always paint a sensational view or stir the pot where they can. Car drivers will get shitty regardless of the wording as they are stuck and cannot filter to the front.

The more conerning issue for me about the trial is that the rules appear to make it almost impossible to perform the filtering legally even during the trial. Stopping behind the stop line is just plain stupid and defeats the purpose of filtering to the front. It also encourages racing off at the lights rather than if your are in front there is not contest. It also leaves the riders behind you stuck between vehicles which is not a pleasant or safe place to be when the traffic starts to move again.

Trying to stay within the lane and pass cars on their right as well is bloody difficult, worse still in the tight city streets. You might manage it in the odd spot on Victoria Rd or Parramatta Rd perhaps. When I filter I always stay as far from the cars on each side as possible, that usually means in the bloody middle not right up against the car to my left.

I wonder if the person who made the rules up has actually ridden a bike and filtered? Perhaps they would like to go pillion sometime in peak hour and they can have a demonstration to determine how well their interpretation of this might or might not work in practice?!

Queue jumping and weaving by motorbikes

Article in The Age today regarding weaving and queue jumping at traffic lights by bikes, in Victoria (south of the border Mexico) it's illegal to do this at present but looks like the law will be changed.

I don't know whether it's legal in other states??

Follow link below for article:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ca...213-2baxl.html
    Tecomakeith

2002 T-Bird 900 Just loves mee bike

It is promising indeed, so long as they don't follow the restricted rule set put into place for the NSW trial starting in Sydney CBD in Feb 2013!

You can read the full inquiry section on filtering in the report released yesterday, page 371 onwards

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/ima...ety-Report.pdf

There is some interesting stuff in this report, yes it is huge but they have taken the whole thing quite seriously. This is far better than a lot of previous efforts in the field of motorcycle safety by government to date...