Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You need to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to understand some of it, the Vic report is very informative. I didn't know they where looking in to so many things. it's certainly an eye opener.
    Tecomakeith

2002 T-Bird 900 Just loves mee bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tecomakeith View Post
    You need to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to understand some of it, the Vic report is very informative. I didn't know they where looking in to so many things. it's certainly an eye opener.
    Yep. You can bet the Motorcycle Council of NSW will be reading it very carefully too!
    "The Catbus" - Honda CB500X!

I'm on a highway to hell and I'm going dowwwwwwwwwwwwn all the way down!

I didn't read all of the report but I've heard or read somewhere that they might make high vis vests compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Yep. You can bet the Motorcycle Council of NSW will be reading it very carefully too!
    Tecomakeith

I didn't read all of the report but I've heard or read somewhere that they might make high vis vests compulsory.
    Looks very unlikely from this part of the report!

11.5.7.4 Findings
    The idea that making motorcyclists more visible by wearing highly reflective or boldly coloured protective clothing is persuasive. However, the types of clothing required to increase visibility are dependent on the environment in which motorcyclists ride. For example, while hi-visibility vests may improve visibility in dense traffic or at night, they do not improve visibility in rural areas to the same extent as darker clothing, which allows motorcyclists to stand out. The Australia Post trial provides an example of the potential of hi-visibility clothing to reduce crashes in a workplace setting. However, the Committee believes the trial involves a type of riding that can be distinguished from those that this Inquiry focuses on, such as commuting or recreational riding. Postal motorcyclists travel at lower speeds, use footpaths and operate (generally) in urban environments and during the day. These are activities which are suited to the use of hi-visibility vests.

Increasing the level of visibility of one group – motorcyclists – could make it easier for other road users to see them. However, the Committee believes it is only one aspect in trying to reduce crashes where visibility is an issue; the other is raising the awareness levels of other road users. It is about shared responsibility.

The Committee is unable to support the proposal to mandate the use of hi-visibility clothing for motorcyclists, because there is no single approach in terms of increasing the visibility of clothing that would work in all riding circumstances. However, promoting the use of different clothing for different types of riding (for example hi-visibility for commuters and darker clothing for recreational road riders) through education could be beneficial. Research findings into the effectiveness of the hi-visibility clothing measure to come into effect in France on 1 January 2013 would be very useful, particularly if it indicates a reduction in crash risk.
    "The Catbus" - Honda CB500X!

I'm on a highway to hell and I'm going dowwwwwwwwwwwwn all the way down!

The Blase' way drivers are on the road these days is undelievably bad, so much disregard for other road users. Being in my late fiftieeeees the differance of drivers over the years is quiet noticeable. Driver education is questionable? What is needed is more tolerance, l recently went to China & Vietnam and there didn't seem to be many rules but it was just chaos but out of the chaos was order, no accidents . But then again there wasn't many cars either mostly scooters.
    Tecomakeith

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Looks very unlikely from this part of the report!

11.5.7.4 Findings
    The idea that making motorcyclists more visible by wearing highly reflective or boldly coloured protective clothing is persuasive. However, the types of clothing required to increase visibility are dependent on the environment in which motorcyclists ride. For example, while hi-visibility vests may improve visibility in dense traffic or at night, they do not improve visibility in rural areas to the same extent as darker clothing, which allows motorcyclists to stand out. The Australia Post trial provides an example of the potential of hi-visibility clothing to reduce crashes in a workplace setting. However, the Committee believes the trial involves a type of riding that can be distinguished from those that this Inquiry focuses on, such as commuting or recreational riding. Postal motorcyclists travel at lower speeds, use footpaths and operate (generally) in urban environments and during the day. These are activities which are suited to the use of hi-visibility vests.

Increasing the level of visibility of one group – motorcyclists – could make it easier for other road users to see them. However, the Committee believes it is only one aspect in trying to reduce crashes where visibility is an issue; the other is raising the awareness levels of other road users. It is about shared responsibility.

The Committee is unable to support the proposal to mandate the use of hi-visibility clothing for motorcyclists, because there is no single approach in terms of increasing the visibility of clothing that would work in all riding circumstances. However, promoting the use of different clothing for different types of riding (for example hi-visibility for commuters and darker clothing for recreational road riders) through education could be beneficial. Research findings into the effectiveness of the hi-visibility clothing measure to come into effect in France on 1 January 2013 would be very useful, particularly if it indicates a reduction in crash risk.
    In regard to the reference to mandatory hi-vis in France - this has been cancelled -
    Good news for riders in France: the new French Interior Minister, Manuel Valls, has decided to suspend the forthcoming obligation for all riders (whether residents or visitors) to wear at least 150cm2 of reflective clothing between the waist and the shoulders. Bikers who were caught not wearing the appropriate reflective clothing from 1st January 2013 would have been liable to a 68 euros fine payable on the spot and two points taken off their licence.

The Blase' way drivers are on the road these days is undelievably bad, so much disregard for other road users.
    I definitely agree with this statement. Some people seem to think that there car is an extension of their Lounge Room, Kitchen, Computer Desk, Play Station and don't realise that they are hurtling around in 1500~3000Kg of metal with a huge amount kinetic energy. Stupidity, lack of driver/rider training, bad manners, impatience, automatic gear boxes and lack of concentration seem to be taking over.

The white lines in the middle of the road used to be there to stay the left side of, now they seem to be used by many Car and Motorcycle riders as a guideline only.
    Are you suffering from a chemical imbalance or is it just an attitude problem?

It doesn't matter what laws or vest or any other crap , at the end of the day you still need to ride in defense mode because people " JUST DON'T LOOK" but having said that, I'm on the road on a daily bases and I see bikes all the time, some ride carefully and in defense mode others just squeeze themselves in places where they should really wait for a clear opening.
    Live been in a situation where, I was riding home one afternoon sitting with the traffic at 80 k , come down to a set of lights, get between the cars as some drivers actually moved for me, then some moron in a ute sees me coming and try's to close the gap on purpose , why? Who knows so I went around him on the opposite side and got in front to which I applied the royal finger , lights went green I took off and he chased me ( while I laughed in my helmet) a twist of the wrist and he was but a distant memory.
    Got to the next set of light about 5 k down the road and I could see him trying his hardest to catch me.
    When I saw him getting closer I just moved in between the cars and got to the front again lol.
    this dickhead thought he was going to catch a Rocket !
    WRONG !! Not a chance.
    So what was his reason for chasing me? None just that he was pissed because I got through that's all.
    The moral of this story is, if a car wants to take you on , get the hell out of there and if he continues. Just pull up and break his jaw. That works quiet well or smash his mirror that equally works well.
    I Don't want no pickle.... I just want to RIDE !!! my motorsickle............

Quote Originally Posted by Matador1 View Post
    It doesn't matter what laws or vest or any other crap , at the end of the day you still need to ride in defense mode because people " JUST DON'T LOOK" but having said that, I'm on the road on a daily bases and I see bikes all the time, some ride carefully and in defense mode others just squeeze themselves in places where they should really wait for a clear opening.
    Live been in a situation where, I was riding home one afternoon sitting with the traffic at 80 k , come down to a set of lights, get between the cars as some drivers actually moved for me, then some moron in a ute sees me coming and try's to close the gap on purpose , why? Who knows so I went around him on the opposite side and got in front to which I applied the royal finger , lights went green I took off and he chased me ( while I laughed in my helmet) a twist of the wrist and he was but a distant memory.
    Got to the next set of light about 5 k down the road and I could see him trying his hardest to catch me.
    When I saw him getting closer I just moved in between the cars and got to the front again lol.
    WRONG !! Not a chance.
    So what was his reason for chasing me? None just that he was pissed because I got through that's all.
    The moral of this story is, if a car wants to take you on , get the hell out of there and if he continues. Just pull up and break his jaw. That works quiet well or smash his mirror that equally works well.
    I've observed that some people like to control others on the road. Speeding up as you try to pass and changing lanes in front of other vehicles to block the road is common. I figure they're just sad, small people that have no control over their own lives so need to take it out on the rest of society.
    Prudence, (The Girl) my 2006 Scrambler with Norman Hyde Street Scrambler Exhaust and The Yank, my 2008 America, both Blue and White, both Gorgeous.

“You never see a motorcycle outside a shrinks office unless it’s the shrink that owns it”.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Matador1 View Post
    WRONG !! Not a chance.
    Sharp downward blow with the fist has always worked for me Paul.
    Prudence, (The Girl) my 2006 Scrambler with Norman Hyde Street Scrambler Exhaust and The Yank, my 2008 America, both Blue and White, both Gorgeous.

“You never see a motorcycle outside a shrinks office unless it’s the shrink that owns it”.

Paul